Writing in the Side Seat

Here's a quick update from the land of writing.

You may have noticed that it's been two weeks since I last posted. If I can remember that far back, I believe I mentioned that I had wrapped up my research phase and was on to writing, which I've been doing with some regularity . . . "some" meaning a bunch of other stuff has popped up and demanded my attention.

Most of it is due to the time of year. High school baseball has started up again and so has my umpiring. This is good for me because it gets me out of the house and into the sun, where my visage transforms from ghostly to merely pale. Plus calling kids out on a third strike is good for my arm muscles.




I've been back and forth to San Jose recently to lead some meetings as our family business continues its restructuring. It's constructive, quality work with great people but it takes time. I'm excited because we've accomplished a lot and it feels important to me that I can involve myself in the business in a substantial way.

My sister is getting married as well, so there are fun preparations taking place for that happy occasion! Incidentally, I'm now an ordained minister if anyone needs a backup officiant. My old graduation gown makes me look almost official.

And of course, taxes are keeping me busy. Since writing is my career now, I now have to scour my records for deductions and anything else to report that won't get me in trouble with the IRS. My writing studio, which I generally keep pretty clean, is looking a bit more haphazard lately because of it.




So writing has taken a side seat for now. That doesn't mean I haven't been progressing . . . in fact, yesterday I topped the 10,000 word mark, a minor accomplishment. An average book is around 90,000 to 120,000 words, so at this rate I'll probably have a rough draft completed before the end of summer. I'm looking forward to that!

Until then I'll keep plugging away where I can. That probably means I'll be posting here less, but rest assured that writing is still happening. And when it's not, it's because I'm taking a break to check on my new rain barrels. As of today, all three are full! THAT is something I'll give you an update on anytime!




(The swirly yellow stuff is pollen. My plants and water bill don't care.)

Thanks for your patience and support as I continue to figure out this writing path!

Comments

  1. Sorry to take you away from writing, but you did an incredible job officiating so I don't regret it that much. Lurrrrve you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain barrels?! Good for you. We sell those things and composting bins. The latter go faster than hot cakes......
    Nice job on hitting the 10K mark!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Narrative History and Speculative Peep Shows

I'm moving out on out (and hopefully up)!

Letting others have their say but counting them for me